Job Title: Snow Sports Instructor Date estabilished : Revised Oct., 2018
REPORTS TO: Snow Sports Supervisor and Hill Captain
BASIC PURPOSE: Create a dynamic and significant skiing or snowboarding learning experience for our guests. Effectively represent Yawgoo Valley Ski Area and its Snow Sports School with the focus on a safe learning environment. Display a personal love of Snow Sports by continuously striving to learn more and improve personal performance.
REQUIREMENTS: Must be 16 years or older as of December 1st current year, successful completion of the PSIA/AASI Free E-Learning Course YVSS Instructor Training Course (ITC) or previous employment with a snowsports school with referral letter or current member of PSIA/AASI. PSIA/AASI certification preferred but not required.
Apprentices who have reached the age of 15 years old and have completed one full season as an apprentice are eligible to promote to Instructor status at the discretion of the Snowsports Director based on evaluation and assessment provided by Supervisor’s and mentoring instructors.
RATE OF PAY: Starts at $11/hr, increasing with years of service and certifications. Paid for student contact hours only.
SHIFT: New Instructors must be able to commit from December 26, 2019 through mid March 2020 including holidays. Peak business levels are during January 2nd, 2020 through February 24th, 2020 requiring the below commitment.
Full time – 6 program shifts per week, 2 group lesson shifts per week and 1 clinic per week.
Part time – 3 program shifts per week, 1 group lesson shift per week and 1 clinic per week.
BENEFITS: Full time – Complementary 2019-20 Season Pass for self and 1 family member, additional passes 50% discount, Seasonal programs for family members 50% discount, Cafeteria (only) and Pro Shop(select merchandise) 20% discount for instructor only, Courtesy letters.
Part time – Complementary 2019-20 Season Pass for self; Cafeteria (only) and Pro Shop(select merchandise) 20% discount for instructor only, Courtesy letters.
- Enthusiasm, patience, passion for snow sports, friendly personality, professional attitude and a sense of humor.
- Willingness to teach children
- Skiing/riding competence on all terrain at Yawgoo Valley. Displaying a personal skiing capability beyond the level of the student, creating confidence and comfort in the personal ability of the instructor.
- Abide by and follow the policies and procedures of Yawgoo Valley Snow Sports
- Commitment to an approved calendar of work days, including peak holiday periods, weekends, and other times of high business volume.
- Reliable transportation to work, on time, each scheduled work day
- Maintain a professional appearance and professional conduct at all times.
- ***Uniform jackets – Purchase/rental program through Yawgoo Valley Snowsports. To compliment the uniform jacket, black snowsports pants and a complimenatary top is required and is resonsibility of instructor to procure. Instructors must provide their own ski/snowboard equipment which must be current and maintained.
- Attend all required training and show strong professional commitment through professional development.
- Teach all lessons in a safe, supportive manner while keeping it fun.
- Maintain a high level of professional communication with Snow Sports Leadership, responding to on-going changes and responding to all verbal, written and email communications in a timely manner.
- Maintain a professional level of communication with peers and guests displaying an effective and positive manner of speech.
- Help guests achieve their goals by developing trust and building friendly and professional relationships, stimulating the desire in the guest to return.
- Model appropriate communication skills, giving effective feedback to students and using progressions, terrain choices and proper speed levels to match student ability and snow conditions.
- Model excellent guest service.