Job Title: Snow Sports Apprentice
Date estabilished : Revised October, 2018
REPORTS TO: Snow Sports Supervisor and Hill Captain
BASIC PURPOSE: This program provides apprentices with valuable training and experience by working alongside snowsports instructors preparing them to one day become a snow sports instructor. Apprentices will assist in creating a dynamic and significant skiing or snowboarding learning experience for our guests. Expectations are that every YVSS staff member represents Yawgoo Valley Ski Area and its Snow Sports School with the focus on a safe learning environment and display a personal love of Snow Sports by continuously striving to learn more and improve personal performance.
REQUIREMENTS: Must be 14 yrs – 15 yrs as of December 1st current year, successful completion of the PSIA/AASI Free E-Learning Course and YVSS ApprenticeTraining Course (ATC). Previous experience working with children as a baby sitter, sports coach, referee, or camp counselor is a plus however not required. ***You must obtain and present working papers for the 2019 – 2020 school year from your schools Guidance Department. All working papers must be submitted to YVSS by November 8th, 2019, no exceptions***
SHIFT: All Apprentices must be able to commit to a minimum of 6 program lessons per week and 1 training clinic per week beginning December 26, 2019 through mid March 2020. Peak business levels are during January 2nd, 2020 through February 24th, 2020. Check in/out with the Supervisor on duty is required when on the property. Time is unpaid, in return for learning experience and season pass. Community service letters are provided at the end of the season for total hours worked during the season.
BENEFITS: All Apprentices invited to join the YVSS staff will receive a complementary 2019/2020 Season Lift Pass, Cafeteria (only) and Pro Shop(select merchandise) discounts of 20%. All for Apprentice only. Pass & discounts to be surrendered if Apprentice is found to be non-compliant with policies and procedures of YVSS.
- Enthusiasm, patience, passion for snow sports, friendly personality, professional attitude and a sense of humor.
- Willingness to teach children
- Skiing/riding competence on all terrain at Yawgoo Valley. Displaying a personal skiing capability beyond the level of the student, creating confidence and comfort in the personal ability of the instructor.
- Abide by and follow the policies and procedures of Yawgoo Valley Snow Sports
- Commitment to an approved calendar of work days, including peak holiday periods, weekends, and other times of high business volume.
- Reliable transportation to work, on time, each scheduled work day
- Maintain a professional appearance and professional conduct at all times.
- ***Uniform – Jacket – purchase/rental program through Yawgoo Valley Snowsports. To compliment the uniform jacket, black snowsports pants and a complimentary top is required and is responsibility of instructor to procure. Instructors must provide their own ski/snowboard equipment which must be current and maintained.
- Attend all required training and show strong professional commitment through professional development.
- Assist in set-up/take down of equipment, late arrivals, as a chair rider, bathroom runner etc.
- Assist in teaching lessons in a safe, supportive manner while keeping it fun.
- Maintain a professional level of communication with staff Leadership, peers and guests displaying an effective and positive manner of speech.
- Help guests achieve their goals by developing trust and building friendly and professional relationships, stimulating the desire in the guest to return.
- Model appropriate communication skills, giving effective feedback to students and using progressions, terrain choices and proper speed levels to match student ability and snow conditions.
- Model excellent guest service.